Today’s guest is a Strategic Advisor, podcaster, thought leader, and retail wizard that has been recognized as a Rethink Retail Top Retail Influencer in 2021 and 2022. Jeff Roster is the Producer and Cohost of This Week in Innovation & Third Eye Podcast Network, Strategic Advisor for Retail at Third Eye Advisory, and Strategic Advisor at the Competera Pricing Platform. Jeff discusses the art of asking a good question, why podcast hosts need to zip it, and how to direct a great conversation.
- As the host, you should ask your guest a good question and then get out of their way so they can answer it and share their insights.
- If you’re going to ask your guests a complex question or series of questions, make sure to let them know prior. You can do this by telling them on a prep call, sharing a script, or any number of other ways.
- If the introduction of a guest consists of just reading their entire bio, it will lack energy and turn listeners off of your podcast.
- Sometimes guests can very into the weeds with their answers and it’s up to the host to reel them back in to discuss larger, strategic topics that provide greater value to the audience.
- On a podcast with a guest format, the host should not dominate the conversation. If the host talks for 60-70% of the runtime, it’s probably not a great episode. Even if the guest is asking questions back to the host it should at most be 50/50.
- Descript is a great tool for podcasters. It uses AI to transcribe the podcast episode and the podcaster can then edit their podcast video and audio while following allow with the transcript which highlights the different speakers.
- For new podcasters, finding the right gear to use for their podcast can be extremely confusing which is why it’s best to ask the experts who have been there and set up podcasting gear before.
Quote of the Show:
- “Ask a single sentence question and then shut up” - Jeff Roster
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeff-roster-bb51b8/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/JeffPR
- This Week In Innovation: https://jeffroster.podbean.com/
- This Week In Innovation: https://thisweekininnovation.com/
- Third Eye Advisory website: https://thirdeyeadvisory.com/
- Competera website: https://competera.net/
Ways to Tune In:
- Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/12f108ea-018f-44a6-8bb0-9444e9cbf3cc
- Apple Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/creating-the-greatest-show/id1638399900
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/1B7OnWCGoxBRzH2rbkEFIf
- Google Podcast: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkLnBvZGJlYW4uY29tL2NyZWF0aW5ndGhlZ3JlYXRlc3RzaG93L2ZlZWQueG1s
- Podchaser: https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/creating-the-greatest-show-4823789
- YouTube: https://youtu.be/u67aU9G_e9c