Our special guest for today is Ashley Hamer, a renowned science communicator, writer, speaker, editor, award-winning podcaster, and podcast influencer. Furthermore, her outstanding work has been showcased in esteemed publications such as USA Today, Time Magazine, and Cosmopolitan. Currently, she serves as the Managing Editor at Descript, an AI-powered audio and video editing app. Ashley focuses on interview and narrative podcasts, and the importance of guests in making a podcast successful. She also discusses the significance of editing in crafting a seamless podcast and the art of identifying compelling topics during interviews. Additionally, she shares insights on the role of the host in a narrative podcast and the value of natural, unscripted conversations in creating engaging content.
- Thorough research is key to finding the right guests for your podcast episodes. Whether in science or any other field, utilize search engines, social media, and relevant sources to discover experts with fresh insights on the chosen topic.
- Whether it's a narrative or interview podcast, the quality of the guest is paramount for success. The right guest can elevate the entire episode, while the wrong one can adversely impact it. By focusing on securing the best guests and preparing thoughtful interview questions, you can enrich the overall experience and bring a diverse perspective to your show.
- As a podcast host, it's essential to remember that you are responsible for the content of the show and its presentation. Embracing editing, even beyond correcting factual errors, allows you to enhance the flow of the conversation and ensure coherence.
- The distinction between an interview podcast and a narrative podcast lies in the role of the host. In an interview podcast, two individuals engage in dialogue, whereas in a narrative podcast, the host takes on the role of the storyteller. The host's narration shapes the narrative, and the interviewee provides supporting information. Ultimately, both podcast types share the essence of storytelling, making every podcast an opportunity to tell a compelling story.
- Intuition plays a crucial role in identifying compelling topics during interviews. Emotional waypoints indicate potential points of interest for the audience. While preparing interview questions is valuable, allowing for natural, fluid conversations often leads to engaging and spontaneous discussions. Being open to exploring unscripted topics adds depth and authenticity to the podcast, enriching the overall podcasting experience.
- As a beginner in podcasting, it's common to desire to come across as professional and experienced. Emulating the practices of seasoned podcasters can be beneficial for growth. While some may aspire to follow Joe Rogan's style of unedited conversations, it's important to recognize that his expertise comes from years of experience. For new podcasters, editing can be a valuable tool to refine interviews and compensate for any lack of experience, ultimately leading to a more polished and engaging podcast.
- Active listening is the key to successful interviews. Being fully present in the moment with the interviewee allows for natural and engaging conversations. Emulating the ease of chatting with friends, where questions arise naturally, can enhance the interview process. It's essential to avoid unnecessary interjections at the end of every answer, as silence can be a powerful cue for further exploration. Embracing the art of attentive listening contributes to a more authentic and enjoyable interview experience for both the interviewer and the audience.
Quote of the Show:
- “Every podcast should be a story. There's a beginning, middle, and end.” - Ashley Hamer
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/smashleyhamer
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ashley-hamer
- Personal Website: https://www.ashleyhamer.online
- Taboo Science (Podcast): https://www.tabooscience.show
- Descript Website: https://www.descript.com
Ways to Tune In:
- Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/12f108ea-018f-44a6-8bb0-9444e9cbf3cc
- Apple Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/creating-the-greatest-show/id1638399900
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/1B7OnWCGoxBRzH2rbkEFIf
- Google Podcast: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkLnBvZGJlYW4uY29tL2NyZWF0aW5ndGhlZ3JlYXRlc3RzaG93L2ZlZWQueG1s
- Podchaser: https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/creating-the-greatest-show-4823789
- YouTube: https://youtu.be/W149hhmlyO0
Creators and Guests
Ashley Hamer is a renowned science communicator, writer, speaker, editor, award-winning podcaster, and podcast influencer. Furthermore, her outstanding work has been showcased in esteemed publications such as USA Today, Time Magazine, and Cosmopolitan. Currently, she serves as the Managing Editor at Descript, an AI-powered audio and video editing app.